bqvtwyKhNExjfBhcI_O-iw4SkkE Christian Resources: The Good Shepherd

Search This Blog

January 7, 2012

The Good Shepherd

Good Shepherd
Image via Wikipedia
Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for his sheep” (John 10:11).

I was in a school reading a book to some children and I asked them if they knew what a shepherd was. Sadly, I got many answers, but none of them was right. This got me to thinking about if I really knew what Jesus was saying when he said he was the good shepherd. I knew that a shepherd is someone who takes care of sheep. What does a shepherd do to take care of sheep? Today, like the children at school, many people do not know what a good shepherd is or does. The people that Jesus was talking to knew about shepherds and their jobs. They knew that shepherds took care of their sheep like a father or mother takes care of a small child.
We can also look at Psalm 23 for some insight. “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” (Psalms 23:1). A shepherd provides all of the needs of his sheep. He makes sure that they get plenty of green grass and fresh water. He makes sure that they get the rest that they need. That is why Psalms 23 continues by saying; “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters” (Psalms 23:2).
The Lord is not just any shepherd; he is a good shepherd. A good shepherd loves the sheep. He cares enough about the sheep that he will risk losing his own life to save the sheep. That is exactly what Jesus did. Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins so that we could have everlasting life.
Jesus also protects us. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me” (Psalms 23:4). The shepherd also knows and understands when the sheep are scared. During those times, he knows how to comfort the sheep and how to keep them moving.
Notice that in Psalms 23:4, death is only a shadow. Shadows cannot hurt you. Therefore, when we stay close to the good shepherd, Jesus, we can rest assured knowing that even when things look their worst it is only a shadow. Remember we have eternal life through Jesus Christ our Good Shepherd. 





Who is a Good Shepherd
Jesus is the only Good Shepherd
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment