bqvtwyKhNExjfBhcI_O-iw4SkkE Christian Resources: Meal Time Prayer

Search This Blog

January 7, 2012

Meal Time Prayer


Child in high chair eating at dining room table.
Image via Wikipedia
... Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 19:14). Jesus knows that children have a child like faith that is often lost as we get older. Therefore, it is our job as parents to teach them about Jesus or bring them to him. Sometimes we really have no way of knowing if they are understanding. Other times they do little things that show you that in their own way and as much as it is possible for them at that time, they really understand. Such is the case with my 17 month old son, Brando.
I had been trying to set a good example for my son concerning prayer especially before meals. For several days, before every meal and snack I held my son's hands in an attempt to get him to fold his hands and bow his head. I was not sure if he was catching on or not until one night. I had already fixed Brando's plate and was getting my husband's plate. My husband, Concho, was going to try to help Brando eat when suddenly Brando put both arms straight up in the air. Concho told me to look at Brando. I did and told him the only thing that I could think of. I said, “I have been trying to teach him to pray before eating.” Brando had apparently caught on to the idea of praying before meals and snacks. However, I am still not sure how or where he get the idea to raise both hands up in the air. I guess he saw people praying at church.
Brando has starting to remind me to pray. He has such faith that it does not matter to him who is watching or where he is. He will raise both hands straight up into the air and hold them their until you have finished praying. He does not yet understand the concept of one person saying the blessing for everyone. Therefore, we have all started thinking God for something at meal time and at snack time.
This has caused my whole family to express thankfulness and praise to God throughout the day. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein (Mark 10:15).

It is wise to continually set a good example because you never know when it will effect a child's life.
Child in high chair eating at dining room table.
Image via Wikipedia
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment